Monday, May 19, 2014

desensitization

Scrolling through my social media feeds, I noticed that I passed by not one, but three tragic posts. One was from a news source I follow about a tragic accident, another was news about a celebrity marriage ending and the last was a negative health report from a person I actually know.

I kept scrolling, glancing over the words, storing the information. I didn't even stop as my eyes "read" countless accounts from others, thinking of what I would make for dinner and how long the laundry would take until it was time to fold it and put it away.

Frozen with this chilling realization,  I began to ask myself:

"When did I allow the tragedies of others to occupy the same space in my head as dinner menus and chores?"

"When did this sneaky desensitization paralyze my compassionate heart?"

More importantly:

"What can I do to stimulate this hard heart to beat for others again?"
 


No comments:

Post a Comment