Tuesday, May 6, 2014

What I Should Tell Everyone

"How are you?"

"Busy."

Really? Can I not use any other words to describe my life right now? Sure, it's true, but how does that make other people feel when 'busy" is my response?

Will they be offended that I think my busy is better than their busy? Because, well, everyone I know is busy.

Will they feel the need to compete with my busy: "Yes, I see your ballet and scouts and raise you karate."

Will they just tune out, thinking that I'm just trying to be self-important?

In any case, "busy" isn't getting me anywhere. "Busy" halts communication. What do I want when I'm talking to someone else? Understanding, camaraderie, community. I want to know them and for them to know me. So, this martyr posture must cease.

I can do this.

How am I?

Fulfilled, humored, relieved, puzzled, enchanted, expectant, frustrated, hopeful, astounded...

Or, on those days when I feel overwhelmed, I could say "Never mind how I am, how are YOU?"


No comments:

Post a Comment